The Dr. Nancy O. DeBasio Faculty Leadership Award is given annually to a nursing faculty member in honor of Dr. Nancy O. DeBasio, who served as president and dean of Research College of Nursing from 1992 to 2017. The purpose of this award is to recognize a nurse educator who exemplifies the four pillars of leadership, as framed by Chris Lowney: self-awareness, ingenuity, love, and heroism.
- Self-Awareness – An understanding of personal strengths and weakness as part of a worldview of nursing and health care
- Ingenuity – Confident innovation in adapting to changes in education, the community and the world
- Love – Engaging students and colleagues with a positive attitude that unlocks their potential and fosters their growth
- Heroism – Energizing self and others with ambitions and passions for heroic excellence in every aspect of life
Click here for more information about heroic leadership.
The award is given to any nursing faculty member who teaches at Avila University, Research College of Nursing, or William Jewell College and has consistently demonstrated the characteristics of the pillars of heroic leadership in the role as nurse educator. Faculty will be eligible for the award once every three years. The award includes a $2,500 honorarium.
The nursing program administrator or dean must submit the final recommendation using the form below to The Research Foundation by January 1.
- A 3-5 page recommendation from the nominator (faculty, staff, or governing board member) describing how the nominee exemplifies self-awareness, ingenuity, love, and heroism, as an educator through teaching, scholarship and service.
- A minimum of two letters supporting the recommendation from members of the faculty, staff, or governing board.
The nursing program administrator or dean must submit the final recommendation using the form below to The Research Foundation by January 1. Please note the system requires that you submit all information at the same time.